There was always a line in a song that intrigued me. Some dance to remember, some dance to forget. We can thank the Eagles for that bit of insight. For a long time I thought that was true. Now, although I see truth in it, I don't see it as the end of the line as far as options go.
I got some new CDs and of course, by the time I received them yesterday, I had almost completely forgotten what I'd ordered. Typical. The first one I played was INXS. Now, INXS and I go way back. Way. Listen Like Thieves, Don't Change, The One Thing; all of them finding freedom through my car windows yesterday. And do you know why I love those songs the most? Other than the fact that they are great songs... it's because I don't connect them to anything. With them, I don't remember, I don't forget. One of the few things I can compare to an untainted joy.
Then after a bit of a rough night at school, I was shocked by hearing Sometimes Salvation on the radio. (Give it about 20+ seconds, it's screwy.) There was so much going on in my life when the Black Crowes CD came out yet I really only have one memory that I can connect to it. When Jealous Again, the first track from Shake Your Money Maker was released, my mom and I were in two different places and heard the local station air it for the first time. The next day, that was the first thing we said to each other because it made such an impression, not even knowing the other had heard it. But that's it. No drama, although I'm sure it occurred. No sadness, which I'm sure was there. Not even thoughts of happy, silly times. Just the feeling of the music being there, and being somehow right.
There is a memory that remains; I saw them both in concert in Pittsburgh. Although both were amazing, there's a little more gratitude with INXS.
Things are uncertain at best at this time. Yesterday I had two reminders, one from some stylish Aussies, one from a bunch of good ol' southern boys, that you don't always need to remember, or to forget. It's very liberating to just be. If even for a moment.
$
11 comments:
Music can mean so much to someone. It can bring good feelings as well as remind us of bad times, but where would we be without music?
I love listening songs that like that. Songs I can be in the moment with and can appreciate just because they bring me joy, no strings attached.
Weird coincidence, I've just been reading another post all about music and memory too.
Damn...I really need to get myself to a concert.
Hey, would you shoot me an e-mail so I can send you an invite? I had to make my blog private, dammit.
Thanks!
maaaan I LOVE INXS... AND the black crowes... I never had the pleasure of seeing INXS live but I DID see the black crowes - that is still in my top 3 all time favorite concerts
INXS is great! The only memories they stir in me is of my late teens, having fun in the sun. You're right, it's wonderful when the music is just the music instead of an emotional reminder.
mate.
John - For me, life would be seriously lacking without music. I'm guessing you can identify with that, too.
Chitty - So few things in life are of the 'no strings attached' variety. Always nice to be reminded they do exist.
Fence - Seems it's a powerful thing for people. Perhaps because it's entirely up to our own interpretation. I'm going to reread that post, thanks.
Stacy - As soon as I get done here, I'll get an email to you. Don't you just hate having to arrange your personal space because of others?! I think going to a concert (in Costa Rica) would help! =)
Kitty - You can't just leave me hanging, what bands comprise your Top Three Concerts list?! Did you realize that this year marks 10 years since Michael Hutchence's death? You'd never know - he's in heavy rotation in my CD player!
Terri - See, see! INXS is another connection to Australia! It's an omen! =) For as many things as we (just 'people') have to put up with every day, it's nice to see that we still have the ability to enjoy something so simple. Although there IS a Farriss brother that I'd like to enjoy, but that's a different story... ;)
I KNOW!! such a senseless death too... I mean I would have been happy to cut off his oxygen temporarily while he did his thing (or me) whichever...
as for concerts - I'll give you my top 5 in no particular order
Black Crowes - Marilyn Manson - Tori Amos - Iron Maiden and then probably a tie between Anthrax, Crosby, Stills & Nash and the Kinks
maybe I can't narrow it down after all haaaa
Kitty - Lol, yeah, way to narrow it down there! ;) I've seen Tori, too. She makes you feel like it's just a little get together in her living roon or something. Amazing! I'd love to see Marilyn Manson; I had a really interesting dream about him once. Really, really interesting. Heh.
I've had lots of real interesting 'dreams' about him haaaa
as for Tori Amos... it was exactly like that!! and we had great seats real near the front so that was nice
when she did 'me and a gun' you could have heard a pin drop and I don't think there was a dry eye in the building
Kitty - There was a time (somewhere, I'm sure there had to be) that I just found MM unsettling. He's pretty bizarre but I like him more and more as time goes by. He's sorta like a bad trip come to life when you think about it. ;)
Post a Comment