In one respect, it is really funny. If you are not in the mood for an Alice-in-Wonderlandesque tidbit o' prose, then leave now. Run. For the love of God and all that is, well, of the average realistic capacity... run like the wind. I mean it. Go on, get out.
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!
The MANIA has landed... I repeat, the mania has landed!
I have been spending the past several days in a hypomanic state. The past 48 hours have been really edgy. The past 24 hours I have been becoming increasingly tense and the past 12 hours have placed me nose to nose with sweet, guiding obsession...
-For those of you not familiar with a manic individual, it's gonna get a little jumbled.
Over the past several days, I had the pleasure of watching Edward Scissorhands again. And again. (Notice the trend...) I must explain that Edward and I have had a very deep love affair for many years. I can fill volumes based on him. I was smitten from the first moment I laid eyes on him. His quiet resolve, desire for contact and gentle nature were in entire contradiction to his outward appearance. He could have easily taken a much different approach but instead, he found no need for bitterness and welcomed every opportunity with such modesty, even when spurned. Now, you may think that this is all pointless, and it is, but who cares, read on. This is the part where it gets tricky. I get very angry when I hear someone remind me that Edward is a character and that (I hate to even SAY this) Johnny Depp portrays said character.
I will take this opportunity to make this a commercial of sorts. Yes, I know that this is really not a subject worthy of debate. I also realize that I am 34 years old. It's all creepy in a way but unfortunately, I do not always get to set the rules...
Anyway, I have never considered myself to be a huge Johnny Depp fan. I am sort of neutral I suppose. I did watch him back in the day on 21 Jump Street, but that was mainly because of Richard Greico. I adored Depp's character in Sleepy Hollow, too. The repeated loss of consciousness was amusing. Last night, I decided I had to check out pics of Edward and get some Edward wallpaper on my computer. So amid all of the photos, articles, and bios, the misfiring synapses in my brain extracted 'become a Johnny Depp stalker'. And so I did. And it has been good. And now I am scared. If you tell him, he will be too.
I rented Pirates of the Caribbean. Ok, I have to admit... he's pretty hot in that movie. Now, maybe it is just my propensity for having an attraction to staggering, swaggering, slurring, scruffy-looking men with international flare that have a tendency to use words in a fantastic way (never mind the slurring). Never really knowing what side he is on, what he is thinking (or IF he is thinking) is a bonus, too. During my immediate plunge into Depp-dom, I found myself feeling as if I needed to respond to his talents in a smitten schoolgirl sort of way. Geez, that makes me sound like a bit of a whore - and I don't even have a red carpet. I found myself rewinding and laughing louder to whatever he said. And so goes the mania... I am trying to calculate the number of times that I could watch that movie again before I need to crawl in my bed and get at least a little bit of sleep.
I am now intrigued by that stumbling, slurring, somewhat feminine, seafaring plunderer! I know this is not natural or normal for that matter. Oddly, that means nothing to me. It is as if I have been strapped into the roller coaster and decided mid-loop that I no longer want to be on this ride. Too bad, I'll be here until the ride comes to a complete stop. Until then, I'll just peer into the chasm while I'm up here...
Just don't EVER remind me that Edward Scissorhands is portrayed by an actor - then I may throw you into the chasm first.
6 comments:
Little bit of a roller coaster article but I think I understand. I bought Pirates the day it came out and have watched it several times. Jack Sparrow is awesome and I can understand your befuddled attraction. Most of my friends that are girls are the same way.
As far as Edward, I can totally sympathize with relating to a character in a movie so much that they become real.
I wanted to thank you for the continuous thoughts and commentary on my writing. It appears we both find ourselves in the middle of a world that has someone ceased to make sense and through writing out our thoughts; we try our best to make sense of the insanity found in humanity. Keep looking for a higher purpose, there has to be more to this world then meets the eye.
Do you watch Seinfeld re-runs at all? The episode with Jerry's barber was on the other night. My favorite line from the old Italian barber: "That Edward Scissorhands, he make-a me cry!"
Johnny is the man. He was awesome in Fear and Loathing too. I heard that Hunter S. Thompson was blown away by his portrayal of him. I'm looking forward to seeing him as Willy Wonka this summer.
Here is the preview.
The Cure, I have to tell you that I truly enjoy your blog and enjoy hearing what comes out of your mouth next. I think there is something positive to be said about writing and writing until it all begins to make sense. Or maybe I'm mad... =)
Skrambled, thanks for the link! I think I have been missing out on Mr. Depp's acting abilities. He has quite the quirkiness about him intermingled with unsolicited tics and twinges.
I think you need to bring Fear and Loathing to my house. Pick up The Cure along the way... we can have a movie fest! A stipulation: one of you gets to wear the Edward costume, one of you gets to wear the Sparrow costume.
So far today I am simply in awe of his abilities, wait... hang on. The Lithium has just stated that it may not be able to hold back the increasing lascivious nature of my thoughts...
Here we go again. =)
I am so wearing the sparrow costume... Back off scrambled Egghead it's mine.
I understand... i felt that way about Layne Staley. Except he isn't a charecter in the same sense. His death devastated me and i wanted to be across the globe in Boston holding candlelight vigil with the rest of his mourners. Except that would have frustated me further, because i felt a special connection and would hate to be lost in a sea of faces...
Hi there. Ignore this comment. I'm writing an email to you right now to explain linking, and I want to make sure the code I'm giving you will work.
testing
Post a Comment