So it is a holiday. Happy Bunny Day. I like bunnies so very much. Ok, that's it for holiday-speak - hope you all enjoyed your holiday if this is one you celebrate.
There is something that has been bothering me for quite some time and today it jumped out at me and kicked me right in the shin. Nasty, inconsiderate bastard. Why can't it just leave me alone in a cloud of denial? Anyway... I am more annoyed today than I was on February 14th. I cannot watch television for more than 24 minutes without being faced with a commercial for an online dating service. I'm really trying not to scream. Why must they assault me in my own home. I'm not even on the internet... that would be a good place to advertise it; I block all of that out. But they feel the need to infiltrate every corner of my world to tell me how much I apparently suck. And according to them, I suck SO bad that I don't know how to pick a mate. Ok, so they have a point there. They have magical and all inclusive 'checklists' of compatibility; what am I, a car to be inspected? I don't want a freakin checklist! Besides, people lie. It is inherent in humans and don't argue with me because I'll just say, "see, _____ is lying right there." Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make everyone out to be evil, I'm just saying that given the chance, the vast majority of people will opt for a lie as opposed to facing an awkward situation or giving a truthful answer. Now, if I complete said questionaire and Mr. Available Bachelor does the same, what are the chances that this will end with 'happily ever after'? The commercials tell you how wonderful their service is and shows supposedly actual (compensated, I'm sure) couples as their success stories. Um, hi. I'm not new on this planet. They are called actors...look it up. Individuals that have been compensated to ACT in love. And they want you to be so envious that you hurry and join the same service that made them the happy couple they are today. I'm not saying that dating services are awful as I have never used one. Here's the problem I have with it... if I question my own judgement of an individual or my ability to find one, how in the hell am I supposed to trust theirs? Do I get a refund if the person turns out to be a braying jackass? Will they fund the multiple therapy sessions that will surely ensue? ARGH!!! Ok. I'm composing myself. Being single isn't typically a touchy subject for me. I like being as silly or strange as I feel like being without having to compromise that, but I don't know. I think that maybe I am wondering if it is fact or fiction that there are suitable mates out there that would not ask for compromise. Damn commercial making me think. I hate this. I so rarely get caught up in this as I'm trying to live my life in an enjoyable manner whether I am paired with another or going it alone. Maybe it's Spring... maybe I feel compelled to find a mate...lol. Hmmm.... I'm going to have to come up with a mental checklist of my own. Can't I just click my heels three times? Oh wait, that's a different story...
Also, a couple of updates on the sidebar...
1 comment:
I'm thinking that the ad you saw was probably for eHarmony. The guy who founded the company is a right-wing nutjob who's associated with Focus on the Family, a group whose leader recently accused SpongeBob of promoting homosexuality. Here is an article you may want to read.
But anyways, I agree that Spring has a certain effect. I think it's mating season or something.
Post a Comment