Monday, January 28, 2008

Laziness, needles, and leaving the truck by the roadside

Being that today was my day off, I had to do something within those hours that would make me tired, cranky and ready for another day off (which I wouldn't be getting), thus, it'd give me something to bitch about. In a nutshell, I was set up to help my mom move. Not a far move but one that involved furniture and two individuals that have bad knees, backs, etc. Anyway, up early I met her and we drove to the U-Haul lot to get the truck. Where she proceeds to have a breakdown. In my car. In the lot. Mere inches from me. Shit. So I told her we don't need to sit in the shadow of the looming trucks and rode off into the sunrise to have a talk. In the end, she didn't move. Who knows what next month will hold but I've paid her rent for the coming month. On the bright side, she has two interviews this week; she's been searching for a job for so long. Very peculiar morning. Meh, I didn't feel like moving crap anyway.

You know, this has no bearing on anything really, but I'm learning that I'm kind of a shitty friend. I mean it. In some ways, I rock. If I ever needed a good friend, I'd want 'me'. The problem is that I'm a lazy friend. That's hard to explain but it's the truth. I want to make the effort, I just have a hard time making it happen sometimes.

Oh... and I've decided what my next tattoo will be. I'm so excited! Here's the idea. A clock face with roman numerals, except the 7. The time will be set to 11p (might use military time as well to make it clear). That portion signifies the 'eleventh hour' theme in my life. In a mirror image that touches up against the first, all numbers will be backward (duh, mirror image) except the 7. That refers to my all encompassing duality. IF I feel like spending tons of money, I may make it look like an open pocket watch in which the chain is being carried up and away by, what else, a phoenix. Black and white, kick ass shading. Dude, I'm so into this. Now to figure out where to put it.

I like looking forward to something instead of always looking back.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm trying to get my mum to move too. and i'm illing to help but seeing as she's been black listed.... sux.

good luck with the tattoo and remember its permanent so don't screw up in the placement department. ;] and consider quality vs cost

Anonymous said...

And to think I waste my days off honing my couch-potato skills. I lead a very dull life.

Fence said...

I can be very bad with the whole keeping in touch lark. I go through phases of trying, but I'm not a fan of the phone.

Still if anyone rings me to meet up I usually head out. Its the whole initial contact thing I have problems with :)

Your tattoo sounds fab, btw.

kitty said...

see that is why I don't drive - so I can't give my mother a ride and have her go into meltdown mode on me - I'm uncomfortable enough without THAT happening!!

the tattoo sounds AWESOME - I hope you post a pic of it once it's done :)

anne said...

I totally identify with your "lazy friend" bit - I am exactly the same way, and have actually lost friends because of it. Add to that three years of going to school plus working fulltime (especially since the nursing program proper started a year ago) and I'm even lazier. Or perhaps lazy + exhausted, which makes me exceedingly antisocial. Every year I make a resolution to be a better friend. Mostly I do ok, but not great by a long shot.

ANYWAY. Your tattoo idea sounds awesome! How many do you have? I have none, but my belly button has been pierced for something like ten years now. Presently it's not so nice to look at, thanks to the chubba, but someday hopefully it will look good again.

Meadow said...

Wow, that sounds like a rocking tattoo. You are *very* creative and visual. I like it!

Peace, love

LiVEwiRe said...

MicheleMania - Sometimes the line is a bit blurred when it comes to family. Oh yeah, quality surpasses cost. I need to find a place that does excellent shading work or this idea will be worthless. (Note to self: rule out middle of forehead...)

Kyknoord - Right, like you have time to be a sofa spud! Hey wait, are you mocking me?... ;)

Fence - Sounds familiar. It's like I have to be drawn out of my shell to communicate. Once I'm in it, it's fine but getting me to initiate it is totally different.

Kitty - You and your mother in a car? Together? No good can come of that, ever. Eesh! It might make a good reality show though. Or reality 'commercial'... I don't think it would last too long, lol. As for the tat, you'll definitely see a pic! You'd better hope I don't get it on my ass. =)

Anne - It's funny that you mention losing friends over it. Recently, a long time friend confronted me and asked me if I had agoraphobia because I never wanted to go anywhere with her. She'd been calling me her 'internet friend' for months and we only lived 15 minutes apart! Sometimes I just don't have it in me. It's like apathy in a way. Technically I have two tats, but they are placed so they blend together and it looks like one larger one, 3" x 7" or so. I couldn't wear a bb ring, it'd get lost! =)

Meadow - Thanks, I'm really excited because it will mean something. These are life themes that I deal with on a daily basis, so they will always be a part of me. Downside, no Red Cross donations.

kitty said...

haaa I go out with my mother once in a while - especially during hunting season (because Sam is too busy hunting to take me grocery shopping)
it's not that bad... what was BAD was going out with my mother AND my sister!! HOLY CRAP!!
at one point Sam pretty much forbid me to go out with the two of them because of the state I'd be in when I got home haaaa

as for people thinking you're agoraphobic - I would have the same issue if Sam didn't sometimes convince (force) me to go out with people
sometimes I actually talk myself into it... like I don't REALLY want to go but if I continue allowing myself to not go out there seriously could come a time where I just CAN'T/WON'T
I don't know how fine the line is between me and agoraphobia - but I know it's not as wide as it is with most people hehehe

Ben O. said...

I know what you mean. I feel like a pretty shitty friend sometimes too.

They need a course in how to be a good friend.

Sign me up!

Ben O.

LiVEwiRe said...

Kitty - For a moment there I was worried about the connection with your mother and hunting season... But I know what you mean, family is enough to drive anyone batty and for some of, it's not a long drive! I need to find a happy medium with people, though. Given the chance I'll wall myself off and have no problem with it. Sounds like you can identify. =)

Ben - You know, I'm thinking we could get a group discount on the 'How not to be a shitty friend in eight easy steps' meetings. Of course, I'd have to care enough to attend and I think I might see a problem there... ;)