Friday, August 31, 2007

Nothin' but the dawg in me

I was not about to waste my limited time on my pc writing about M. Vick and this insanity revolving around the dog fights for which he appears to be fully responsible. I say 'appears' because isn't that our way - innocent until proven guilty? Well, fine. I'll play. But his situation isn't what this post is about. I will say that I think he deserves to have his testicles removed via his nostrils, though. Along with anyone that gets a friggin boner watching that mess. I'm all for everyone having their own opinions but in this case, not on my blog. I don't care to hear anyone defend that individual or his behavior or his 'sport'. My blog, my rules.

That being said, I want to point out to you that I do actually have, well, a point. M. Vick had, up until recently, been seen as a young, healthy, attractive, athletic, successful sports figure. He was an inspiration to many and a hero to some. I guarantee he was the guy alot of 'armchair quarterbacks' wanted to be. Perhaps until now.

Completely separate from fame, success or wealth, there are always those people that seem to exemplify what we want; who we want to be. Who we gauge ourselves against and feel we fall short of measuring up to. The ones we are embarrassed to say have no similarities to ourselves.

Point is, maybe it's a good thing there are no similarities. Anyone can portray a role. It is called acting. Acting can hide that dark side with an almost impenetrable veil. It's there, we just don't see it. And here we sit glorifying these people when in some cases, they deserve to be vilified.
We needn't be shocked when we learn these thing. The 'haves' are just as susceptible as the 'have nots'.

Don't fool yourself kiddies. Think for yourself. People are not always who you think they are; they are who they want you to think they are.

7 comments:

jarvenpa said...

Hmmm. Profound,my dear. My feeling--we are all pretty soul-mottled; good and bad mixing. Maybe we try hard to pretend there is no bad, no dark side--but it is pretending.
I was thinking of this the other night, watching a fire that had started along the hillside down the road from my shop. I love fire. So there I was, watching the brave fire crews, hoping the fire wouldn't spread to the community center, hoping no one would be hurt--but at the same time, in my heart going "oh, get bigger--how about catching that tree there!? Wow!!" And that same part of my soul was kind of sad when, after many hours, the fire went out.
But I was glad no one got hurt.
Would I say to the person standing next to me "oooh, I hope it gets bigger!! Wow, look at those flames!" Nope, never (not unless they were some understanding intimate of mine).
Now, as to Vick...well, I have a pitbull. Enough said.

kitty said...

are there actually people that defend this crap?

anyway - I had never even heard of this guy until this story came out - so apparently he's become more famous for being an 'alleged' scumbag!

Terri said...

I have no idea who this guy is and I've no energy to google him. What you've said here is enough and I agree.
Even more about people not being who we think they are. Y'know it took me a long time (well over 30 years) to figure out that actually nobody is any better than I am. Everyone is human no matter what their station in life. In fact I feel sorry for those with celebrity status because I firmly believe they are disconnected from actual reality and that's really sad. How happy can a person be when everything surrounding them is fake?
Well this is your blog, not mine, so I'll leave it at that.
btw Glad to see you back and I hope things are going well with you. I've missed you.

LiVEwiRe said...

Jarvenpa - You're right, everyone has a mix; some sort of blend particular to them. We all act and pretend. I do, you do... everyone. Some just have more to hide than others. I can understand how you can be drawn to the beauty of fire and in the end, you're pulling for it to 'win'. It takes on a strength and personality of it's own. As you said though, the person next to you wouldn't understand. It's not that you wanted anyone to be hurt, you just wanted the fire to 'win'. For those of us that are convinced somewhere in our being that even non-living objects contain emotion, it makes sense. Although this thing with Vick is sickening, I'm glad in some ways that light gets shed on this topic and attention is brought to the matter. Unfortunately I figure that just like with many things, we'll turn a blind after the sensationalism dies down.

Kitty - There are people that get their young children involved. I don't understand it. And often people say they do it for money and/or status. He already has both, so why? Like you said, scumbag sounds about right. And when you are forced to give a public apology, at least try to fake it enough so that you sound as if you give half a shit about it even if you don't.

Terri - he's just one of many I'm sure, but he happens to be the one in the spotlight at the moment. I specifically didn't put his full name because I don't want the connection, even if it is me just using him as a brazen example. The lesson you learned is so valuable. We all get tricked into thinking that someone wealthier or better connected in the social scene is better than we are. That's not what it's about and the fortunate ones know that, even if it takes some reminding every now and then. I'd like to be a celebrity for a week - it may help me appreciate what I do have, troubles and all. Anyway, feel free to go on as long as you want any time! ;) I've missed you, too. Seems time just slips away before I can get to these keys.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh you most definitely won't hear ME defending that piece of shit, sorry excuse for a human being, that's for sure. I love my Pit Bulls but I've SEEN how horrible those dog fights are...I even have two links on my blog about it. They're horrible.

Anyway, you talk of "acting"...you are SO right. Sadly even those closest to us can be fine actors.

anne said...

You're spot-on about all of us being both good and bad. Too right.

As to Michael V. - I agree with you 100%. What a jackass.

LiVEwiRe said...

Stacy - I thought of you when the story hit the news. Those are your babies and it must make it all but unimaginable to grasp this trend. And his (and others) nonchalence toward the matter is sickening. It infuriates me. I remember the links on the blog; I think you even had a warning attached, didn't you? Right you are about the actors. Sometimes WE can be such good actors that we trick even ourselves.

Anne - Well, I know I have horns and rumor has it that I have a good side too. Human tendency I suppose. Cases like this are a reminder of the extreme. You know, Vick hasn't shown one convincing emotion that maybe made him take this as more than a bump in the road. Like if he didn't have to stand here and give a mandatory apology he could be out making more money on his dogs.