Monday, March 11, 2013

Sometimes I think I am socially inept, and then I remember that a) people are weird and b) I should't think so much.

In a nutshell:

Went to a retirement dinner for my boss last night and spent far more time with 'work peeps' off the time clock than I'd prefer but got an interesting reaction from someone.  I'm not too shabby when I clean up (given that most of the time everyone sees me in scrubs with no makeup) and got a compliment along with some surprising-yet-not physical contact.  Nothing major, just that it was a WORK thing.  Awkward.  Just take my word for it.

Then I went off to meet a friend for her birthday celebration where her uncle (that I happen to have had this secret crush on for like, oh, 10 years now...) kisses me right on the lips.  Twice.  His wife was on the premises and it wasn't creepy, but it's hard to carry on a conversation after that, you know?  So I spent time talking to lots of people and in the end, six of us went to another bar.  (For the record, I had one beer - sober girl here.)  At that bar, one of the two people I didn't know (Ross, I believe) starts to chat with me.  No big deal, his girlfriend is there and we're just talking.  As time goes on, I realize he's asked all the 'get to know you' questions, then, polite and nice as he was, it sort of got weird.  He was just sitting there.  Looking at me.  Asking me all sorts of questions that weren't exactly inappropriate, but I didn't expect them from a guy - guys don't give a shit about those things.  Or really much of anything relating to a steady conversation.  

Had a good time but either my social skills have lapsed beyond belief, which I'm sure they have, or I was getting both physical and non-physical strangeness from the opposite sex.  (Her uncle doesn't count, no one knows I have a crush on him, he's just a nice guy.)  Strange brew last night.  No wonder I rarely go out.  Shit gets weird.  If you knew the circumstances, you'd get it, but I'm not going to belabor the issue.  Just a peculiar night.

I'll be back to tell you about the second bar we went to.  Wow.  Talk about a trip.  F'real.

No comments: