Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Obsessive you say? I call it focused.

Ok, truly it IS obsessive but I'll never admit it. I am 39 years old and get major fits of obsession. Sure, alot of it is the bipolar and OCD tendencies, but I have always been the kind of person that will bore a hole through something with my gaze until I feel satisfied with my accomplishment.

There is nothing bad here, except for the fact that it's weird and obsessivey. I really am like a heat seeking missile, and no, that isn't a metaphor. There are at least 4 things I'm jumping on now and damn can I ever exhaust myself. Oddly, I feel productive at these times, even though most of the obsession isn't warranted or even functional, really.

I don't know why I brought it up but I think it's kind of funny to see someone other than a 13 year old in this mode. Maybe it'll end soon. Until then, I'm just along for the ride folks, until I tire myself out. =)

4 comments:

Ginger Doll said...

Can you send some my way? For some reason people assume that because I'm very concientious at work that I am the consumate starter - finisher. I'm not. I'm hopeless! I only finish things when I have deadlines biting my ass to bits. Left to my own devices I'm so easy to distract. Like, dusting. Or hoovering. Or toilet cleaning...

I confess I am curious as to what's caught your attention so much? The last thing I got obsessed about was steampunk music. For about 3 hours, then I got bored!

Have fun - GD x

LiVEwiRe said...

GD - LOVE TO! The obsessing thing isn't nearly as productive as it might sound. Well, I take that back - it depends on what you consider productive. I am typically the ultimate procrastinator when it comes to things I don't want to do, read: housework. I mean really, I'm just fine stepping over 17 pairs of shoes. I can handle clutter well enough although it isn't my goal. I find it easier to move residences than dust. I have to laugh about your steampunk comment - I was just showing someone a steampunk halfmask with gorgeous brass rivets and fittings yesterday. Not that I'd wear it (although some of the fashion, yes) but I thought it was just a handsome item. It is from Obscuria if you care to check it out. So this latest bout of obsession is all Stu's fault! Remember him from a couple posts back? So not only am I finding all sorts of snippits of info on him, and lovely pics, but it has led me back to my MySpace page (which I haven't touched in a year) so I can post music on my playlist and a G Love video. I always obsess about music but my tastes change then cycle back. Stu is responsible for this. It's kind of like the whole Six Degrees of Separation thing, but it is all his (and my brain chemicals') fault! So I know it isn't really 'healthy' {ahem} to spend hours on multiple search engines altering wording to get info on a person that you aren't even going to do anything with. Like your steampunk music obsession, this will fade but oh, I do enjoy my current topic. It ranges from Stu to music in general. It sort of feels like when you get introduced to a new food and decide you mist eat it every day until it is coming out of your ears. You seek out all variations until one day you find yourself utterly pooped out and passed out from like a puppy from an intense play session. If only I could channel my efforts for good...muhuhuhahaha! =)

Terri said...

Eesh. Substitute Rob Thomas for Stu and I'm with ya.
I've laughed about my slightly obsessive behaviour out loud, but inside I've wondered occasionally if there's something 'wrong' with me. Glad to know other people do this sort of thing!

LiVEwiRe said...

Terri - I think that as long as you aren't building shelters in trees across from their house, it is a harmless obsession. I mean, we have to keep ourselves busy and out of trouble somehow, right?! I definitely have an obsessive streak but it comes out when it damn well feels like it - I have next to no control so I just have to ride it out. I'm sure you can identify =)